St Bartholemews, Chalvington
St Bartholemew’s, Chalvington is a small rural church built in the late 13th Century and is decorated with chancel, nave and a shingle steeple style. The portrayal of Thomas A’ Beckett on the south window above the pulpit suggests that the church may have originally been dedicated to him. The North porch is modern although the old doorway remains decorated with sculptured human heads as does the window beside it.

The church was mainly constructed from flint with stone quoins and in 1999 some plaster was reportedly removed to reveal the remains of the south door on which there is a scratch dial showing the times of the mass.

The three bells inscribed 1609, 1609 and 1639 have been renovated, the Victorian choir stalls have been removed and a new flagstone floor has been laid.

St John The Baptist, Ripe
The Ripe and Chalvington church register started in 1538 and Ripe's original paper registers are preserved in the County records office. The advowson of Ripe church was presented to the St Pancreas priory, Lewes in 1100.
The church is set on the edge of the village at Eckington Corner and is approached by an avenue of trees although many of these had to be removed from the pathway after the storm of October 1987. The Old Rectory lies to the right with Eckington Manor.

The church remained in the possession of Lewes Priory until the dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539. Ripe then passed to Thomas Cromwell. St John the Baptist Church is built of knapped flint and sandstone and has a square tower, which contains five bells cast in 1717. There is a fine clock, which was installed in 1898 as a memorial to the Reverend Shuttleworth Sutton. The clock was rededicated in 1998 when Jim Beckingham was given a painting of the tower in recognition of the fact that he had wound the clock twice a week since 1958. He was Church Warden almost continuously for 42 years until his death in March 2015

The nave and the south porch date from the late 13th century. The chancel is perpendicular and has windows on the north and south side and a great east window.

On either side of the west door is a carving of an inverted Pelham Buckle which was an honour granted to John de Pelham for his part along with Roger de la Warre in the capture of the King of France at the Battle of Poitiers in 1356. In the churchyard, close to the east wall are graves depicting skull and crossbones and the author Malcolm Lowry, is buried here.


 All contents©2010-2015 Chalvington with Ripe Parish Council     Website: MassMedia Ltd       update 290515